Why Participate 2017
Participating in the Index gives employers recognition for their achievements and provides employers with a best practice framework to progress LGBTI inclusion in the workplace annually. The Index will provide a new framework for thought and action for participating employers at the start of their journey.
Launching the 2015 Workplace Equality Index - L-R: Sinéad Gibney, Director, IHREC; Peter O'Neill, Managing Director, IBM Ireland; Davin Roche, Director, Workplace Diversity, GLEN; Tim Jarman, Assistant Director Diversity & Inclusiveness, EY UK & Ireland; Eimear O'Reilly, Programme & Policy Officer, Workplace Diversity, GLEN
Measuring progress year on year:
- Gives public and private sector organisations recognition for their achievements to date.
- Provides a best practice framework to improve year on year.
- Enables employers realise the benefits of LGBT equality, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The business case for ensuring your organisation's equality and diversity practices include lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex (LGBTI) people has never been stronger.
Research consistently shows LGBTI employees who can be themselves at work earn more, stay longer and are more committed to their employers.
There are significant costs to employers when LGBTI employees feel they cannot be out in the workplace. 47% of LGBT people are not out in the workplace. 1 in 4 LGBT people have experienced bullying and harassment in the workplace and 1 in 10 people have missed work as a result.
Leading employers know the business benefits of implementing LGBTI inclusive practices:
- Enhancing employee performance
- Recruiting and retaining the best talent
- Building company reputation and winning new business
- Mitigating the risk of bullying and harassment
- Promoting corporate social responsibility
Whether your organisation is just starting out or has established a culture of LGBTI equality and inclusion, participating in the Workplace Equality Index will drive your diversity and inclusion performance to the next level.